Saturday 11 February 2017

Week 1 Day 5




For this week I have been working upon shape and figuring out how I could combine the words brave, and capture to Man Rays style of work. With regards to Man Ray I particular liked his collage work especially the work revolved around brightly coloured shapes, constructed to form a quite unusual and captivating impression of the piece. I felt that using this style of composition within my own work would make it possible to take my three words and make them into one whole piece. Figuring this out was simply through observation of Rays ‘Revolving doors’ I was able to pick out elements that attached together sections from the word brave and capture. For example in regards to brave I could see a link through the exaggerated and vibrant shapes as to me it felt that so much was going on that I didn’t possibly know where to look first or why exactly the shapes were placed in the areas that they were. This lead to me exploring the similarities of these shapes and my interpretation of what ‘brave’ actually means to me.  When thinking I chose to think of the word brave as more of a mental behaviour then the action of being brave, such as being able to stand out from your surroundings and presenting yourself in a more over the top way then what is socially accepted. I thought of ‘brave’ as being able to look past society’s expectations and judgement to just being free. In regards to capture I thought of it in its simplest way, as that being what is seen within the eye, the sight of our surroundings; that splits second of scenery, a frozen picture to our eyes whenever we take a beautiful sight in. That’s what ‘Revolving doors’ reminded me of when thinking of the word ‘capture’.



No comments:

Post a Comment