Monday 17 April 2017

Week Easter term


For this project we were asked to create our own technical patterns, as well as altering the dots to have a different outcome from our original patterns which we had pre copied.

When changing the pattern, I took my original pattern and placed it within a new paper; placing a needle in the centre point after using a pencil to draw around it, then spinning the original pattern around and marking a new pattern with a red pen.

Once I had the outline for my new pattern block I started to manipulate the darts by observing the edges and outlining the appropriate folding needed, as well as removing excess space at the waist with darts, I may have also wanted  to remove some of the width by altering the side seam (by following the tutorial) as well. It was normally best to distribute the amount which I removing by combining the two techniques.

When creating a new pattern I have to admit that I really struggled. I felt not completely sure what to do and if it was done right; however using the tutorials I tried to come up with what I thought was right. Nonetheless this was my first time doing something like this so I would expect to have some issues and difficulties in regards to the process.

With regards to the project we had to answer three questions around the outcome and knowledge upon the manipulation of darts and what we have learnt from it.

The questions ask:

What are darts for, what do they do?
Darts are folds placed into a pattern to reduce excess fabric and provide shape to a garment, this is more so used for a woman's bust as women’s clothing requires more shape then men’s due to curves. They are used frequently in all sorts of clothing to tailor and alter the garment to the wearer's body shape, or to make a unique kind of shape upon the garment.

What types of darts have been used on your original bodice block taken from fashion degree?
In the essence of my original pattern I feel that it falls under the lines of the centre front bust.

What type of darts are you using on your final developed block?

 In regards to my pattern I have chosen to go for a kind of mid-neck style while using my darts; however creating it I wasn’t quite sure.






No comments:

Post a Comment