Monday 17 April 2017

Week Easter term


While continuing the development process of my project I had decided to try out a design that I wanted to move forward into a garment. In this case I was working with a coat, and focusing on a kind of bumped style to the coat.

By practising this I used calico and some spear sheets (Using a thinner, weak kind of fabric effected the back part of the coat causing the fabric to scrunch up when stitching and lifting the fabric up.), and cotton to stuff the coat. When making the coat I had to use a double layering of fabric to give this thicker and fuller style to it as if it is bloated and to allow me to put a filling in the coat.

In the process of making the garment I cut out two front pieces of the coat; the left and right side, then one back piece (I cut out two copies of this per piece. After I cut it out I had to stitch the two copies together per piece but leaving the bottom bit unstitched to allow me to add in the stuffing. Once they were all stitched together I added in the cotton stuffing; however I ran out of stuffing so for some of it I had to scrunch up newspaper and add that in as well (this affected the outcome and look of the coat.) once adding in the stuffing I closed up the rest of the pieces and used my sewing machine to put lines across each bloated piece so it gives that lumpy affect. Nonetheless due to the newspaper it wasn’t quite even as it caused an uneven filling and not that much of an effected shape; however when it is done for real I will only be using cotton so the effect will be more successful. In my opinion nevertheless I do still feel that the outcome was still pretty okay regarding the filling.  After putting the lines through I stitched the pieces together, making it into a coat then added a hood to see how that would look upon the coat as I wanted there to be a hood.

Overall I felt that the outcome of the coat wasn’t half bad and I feel that I will be using this within my final piece when it comes to making it.

What I hope to do after this is try and do some quick sketches through the practice garment and develop my ideas forward to see what new shapes I can come up with; working on manipulation and colour.

Step 1: Sewing the two pieces together 

 Step 2: the outcome of the two pieces 

 Step 3: adding in the filling 

 Step 4: sewing the bottom piece together after adding filling

 Step 5: sewing the lines to make the lines to make the bumpy effect

 Step 6: the pieces before sewed together
Final outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment