Tuesday 16 May 2017

AWA

Week 6 Day 6 



During this week I have been working on a way of looking into my past and my childhood and finding a way to incorporate it into my final piece.

By doing this I decided to take a trip to the store to pick up some teddy bears and sweets, as I feel that, that is what really defines a child through the innocence and softness of a common teddy bear, and the rush and need for sugar that most children go through as if it’s something rare and of a lot of value, or more so wanting what they can’t easily get or are denied. I wanted to play around using this to come up with a captivating and interesting approach to my theme by using this as a way of combining my personal addictions and my past together.

When creating this I put a string through each of the teddy bears and my sweets in a way that it creates a chain (kind of like the chains representing a journey through my life and struggles).
I felt that this experiment went very well as I was able to explore with 3D designing which helps towards coming up with ideas for the structural aspect of my designing and looking into the disproportion of the silhouette which I also found quite interesting.

My reasoning for doing this was originally to create an accessory out of it; however I later realized that having an accessory, or having an accessory like this was not going to work in regards to physically working with my garment or complementing it. I just could not see it working, but I still wanted to add these elements of stuffed animals and sweets into my final piece; this is when I decided, and talking it over with my tutor( as my tutor stated that it was too cliché to use chains.) that it would be more effective if it were to add these elements by using its structure or adding in the idea of the sweets and toys into a digital print/pattern which is what I eventually decided to go forward with, abolishing the chain idea.

If I was to go forward with this idea I would maybe try working with the shapes that have been made through my youth chain and see how those shapes can create a structure in regards to my garment.





No comments:

Post a Comment