Tuesday 16 May 2017

AWA

Week 7 Day 2



In this week I wanted to experiment using sweets by doing this I took a visit to my local store to pick up jelly babies. As I was fascinated with the colour and frame of the sweets I wanted to see what it would be like, or if it could still be as interesting if I were to completely melt the jelly babies to see what that would look like. As I melted it I could see that everything was melting down smoothly; however you could still see a few lumps from the reminisces of the jelly baby heads which I found very interesting. Nonetheless when I put it in the freezer it was still the same shape that it was when it had been melted. As I was using this experiment for my digital print I wanted to have an idea of a distinct colour and design that I would be using for the print so this really gave me quite a few ideas and I definitely knew that I wanted to use sweets for my final print since I abolished my previous final print using a repetition of deformed heads; almost like dolls in a pink background with a representation of smudged drugs in the background, nevertheless I found the pattern to have too much going on in it that when it came to having the full garment it would draw too much attention away from the rest of the garment which I did not want. Therefore I decided I wanted my final design to be very simple but still have meaning to it, and relate to my theme but still be interesting to look at. This is when I concluded to carry on the idea of the jelly babies and I found the image and look of the sweets very appealing and captivating and really just draws your attention to the uniqueness of the sweet alone, not to mention that it reminds more a lot of my childhood and would instantly make you think of young children when looking at the sweet compared to other sweets. However I did keep the pink background but slightly altered its colour to a washed out baby pink rather than salmon pink in my previous print design.




I feel that this experiment went very well as it helped me come up with a pattern that I personally felt was a lot more suited to my final garment, also I felt that having the idea to melt the jelly babies actually gave me the idea to edit my jelly babies in a way where it has this smudged, but kind of animated appearance to it rather than looking exactly like it’s image. Making the viewer have to look more into the design to tell that it is jelly babies which I felt was a success. If I were to improve or if I have  time to make my print better I would have worked on adding more life to my jelly babies like their an animation or alive to us like we had the imagination of a child. I would have made the jelly babies interact with each other or made each jelly baby have a different posture to make the print more fun and exciting to look at.

Nevertheless to carry this on in my project I will be getting sample prints to see what the print looks like on different fabrics so I can have the most appropriate fabric for my print when it comes to making my final piece.




I also took a trip to B&Q to pick up some colour cards as I wanted to make sure that I really looked into a great amount of colours to really make a decision on what colours would be the most suitable for my garment and how they would actually work together as one. By taking this trip I explored so many colours and could notice all the different shades just for one individual colour which made me a lot more observant of every detail of a shade and the difference between each one rather than picking a colour as a whole such as saying that I’m just going to choose a ‘yellow’ but more so I am going to choose a ‘mustard yellow’ or a ‘creamy yellow’ makes more of a difference and shows that I have taken the time to think of how a particular shade makes a real difference to a garment then just choosing it by random as that could really affect the outcome of my final piece and even making it appear tacky and random.         



No comments:

Post a Comment